Mitchell Shawn Ortega started practicing law in 2016. He began his career as a volunteer attorney working on behalf of indigent clients and assisting them in matters such as Social Security benefit claims, domestic violence disputes, and landlord-tenant litigation. The work Mitchell did at the beginning of his career laid the foundation for his fundamental view about practicing law that has guided him since: Helping those in need and equaling the playing field for vulnerable individuals makes the practice of law satisfying and enjoyable.
Currently, Mitchell specializes in collections defense litigation. Growing up in South Florida, Mitchell wasn’t a stranger to the exploits of unscrupulous debt collectors calling his home at all hours of the day. That experience has helped him connect with his clients and empathize with their situations on a deeper level. Mitchell also has experience with claims under the FDCPA/FCCPA, FCRA, ADA, Lemon Law, and FDUTPA.
Mitchell currently resides in St. Augustine, Florida and when he is not assisting clients and litigating against some of the biggest banks in the country, he enjoys bowling, Florida Gator sports, and exploring the beautiful nature of North Florida.
- Florida State Bar, admitted September 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, admitted April 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, admitted June 2017
- Florida Bar Association, Member
- St. Johns County Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Consumer Advocates, Member